Bukovina – land of the painted monasteries – UNESCO heritage
Bukovina Land of the Painted Monasteries UNESCO Heritage
You are invited to a three-day trip to Bukovina, the land of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The painted monasteries located in the North-East of the country offer a glimpse into the traditions and history of Moldavia, one of the three historical regions of Romania. You will also have the opportunity to taste our local Panciu champagne, to pay your respect to Santa Barbara Chapel located in Cacica salt mine, to admire the amazing Bicaz Gorges and the Red Lake, and last but not least, the magnificent monasteries painted 500 years ago.
- 1 DAY: Departure at 8.30 o’clock from Bucharest to Urziceni, Buzau, Focsani, Bacau, Piatra Neamt, Suceava, Sucevita. Upon request, wine and champagne tasting at Panciu Veritas cellars (optional). Accommodation in Suceviţa.
- 2 DAY – Visits to Sucevita and Moldovita Monasteries, Gura Humorului (optional), Voronet Monastery, Cacica Salt Mine, Putna Monastery and Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great) tomb.Accommodation in Bucovina area.The Painted Churches of Bukovina are some of the most valuable treasures th of Romania. With their painted exterior walls, decorated with 15-16 century elaborate frescoes (featuring portraits of saints and prophets, scenes from the life of Jesus, angels and demons, heaven and hell), deemed as masterpieces of Byzantine art, these churches are one-of-a-kind architectural sites in Europe. The purpose of the frescoes was to make the story of the Bible and the lives of the most important saints known to the villagers, by use of images. The best preserved frescoes can be seen at the monasteries in Humor, Moldovita, Patrauti, Probota, Suceava, Sucevita, Voronet and Arbore. Of all the monasteries in Bukovina, Sucevita is the only one still on the waiting list as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 3 DAY: Suceava – Falticeni – Targu Neamt – Varatec and Agapia Monasteries – Bicaz Gorges – Gheorghieni – Tusnad – Brasov – Bucharest.Red Lake is the biggest natural dam lake in Romania. It is relatively young, dating back to July 1837. Ucigasu Mount collapsed, after a series of storms and heavy rains, creating a natural dam into the Licas Creek. In the following years the water took the shape of lake, the Red Lake.
- two nights accommodation in Bukovina area, certified national guide, entrance fees to Sucevita, Moldovita, Voronet, Putna, Agapia and Varatec Monasteries and Cacica salt mine.
- meals and champagne tasting are not included.
- Photo tax not included.
Starting hour: 8am
Note: The departure hour can be modify on request depending of the availability of the museums.
Price per person
|1 person||2 persons||3 persons||4-8 persons|
|€ 770||€ 520||€ 400||€ 345|